New Rider course
Never ridden before? Want to get your license? The New Rider Course will lead you throuh the steps to learn to ride a motorcycle and get you on the road. Successful completion earns the MSF BRC card and in most states a license waiver that gets you a motorcycle endorsement on your license at your state DMV.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle
- Classroom and range instruction from state & RidingAcademy certified coaches
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along withmaneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting riding obstacles
- Earn a Motorcycle Safety Course Completion Card,
which may exempt you from the riding portion of your
state license exam and score you a discount on motorcycle insurance
NEW GRADUATE FINANCING PROGRAM
Riders who complete the Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy Course can take advantage of special financing options which include no down payment or rates as low as 3.49%* and flexible terms.
WHAT TO WEAR
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves with leather palms and knuckles
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
Need help finding the right gear for you? Schedule a gear fitting today.
Your Journey Is Just Beginning
You’re on your way to becoming a fully licensed rider. The open road is calling, and we can’t wait to help you answer the call. Check out our additional opportunities to learn and gain confidence and hear from our students about their experiences.
Get the details about the Motorcycle Safety Foundation e-course. The MSF e-course will help you feel prepared for your first day of class. Check if your state requires this e-course.
WOMEN'S MOTORCYCLE GEAR
GET GEARED UP FOR CLASS
Shop women's motorcycle gear for new riders.
Having the best experience in class requires appropriate motorcycle gear. Check out what you should bring on day one.
MEN'S MOTORCYCLE GEAR
GET READY TO RIDE
Shop men's motorcycle gear for new riders.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The H-D® dealer where you sign up for the course will determine the exact cost.
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
You'll need to bring the following:
- Your Driver's License and/or Learner's Permit
- Proof of completion of any pre-required course study
- Any materials provided to you prior to or during class
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long pants (heavy denim or riding pants recommended)
- Over-the-ankle boots (sturdy, not canvas, low heel)
- Eye protection (helmet visor, eye glasses, sun glasses, goggles acceptable)
- Full-finger gloves (motorcycle specific recommended)
- DOT-certified helmet style based on the requirements of your state.
SHOP MEN'S MOTORCYCLE GEAR FOR NEW RIDERS
For the riding portion, the H-D® dealer will provide you with a Harley-Davidson®motorcycle suited for the course.
Yes, learn more about the exclusive offers available only to Riding Academy graduates.
You must attend the entire course and participate. You must come to class with all the required safety gear and have completed the MSF online E-Course (if required by your state) and pass the riding evaluation at the end of the range sessions.
Yes. A lunch break is incorporated to all full days of Riding Academy.
Yes. However, we recommend that all riders take the Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy Class to learn the rules of the road
Contact your dealer as soon as possible to get rescheduled into another class. There may be additional fees to change classes, consult with your dealer.
Riding Academy classes take place rain or shine, hot or cold. Be ready for whatever your local weather might have in store for you. In the event of dangerous weather, the class will be halted. Arrangements will be made to adjust the schedule around the weather if possible. Consult with your Coaches and or Academy Manager if weather results in a class being rescheduled or cancelled.
Yes! The bike you try is a 100% street-ready Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.